40 Commonwealth Avenue, Back Bay
An early Victorian structure built in 1862, 40 Commonwealth Avenue in Boston's Back Bay was once was called home by John Revere, treasurer and later president of Revere Copper, a firm started by Paul Revere himself in 1801. Number 40 was then acquired by The College Club in 1905 and refurbished to contain an Old English style drawing room and, according to documents, seven bedrooms for guests "furnished and decorated in the colors of various women's colleges," including Radcliffe, Wellesley, Smith and Vassar. Subsequently, The College Club comprised the buildings at 38 through 44 Commonwealth Avenue, with Numbers 38 and 40 being used as club rooms until the buildings were sold in 1974. Today, this professionally managed building includes 10 luxury condos offering the finest living the Back Bay has to offer.
Boston Public Library: Residence of N. B. Gibbs and J. Revere, photo dated ~1870-1879
For more images, see our exclusive Boston real estate listings.